WHAT A LOOP HAS TO SAY

Dennis Montgomery said:

"Before you start building a loop, do you
have a preconceived idea of what the loop should express or do you just
let the sound of the loop guide you?"

I have to say that because I have a strong tendency  to be both too
intellectual in my musical approach
and also to controlling in my over all aproach to music that I have come
love
the fact that a live looping device can capture amazing serendipity.

I've fallen in love with playing an instrument that I don't have control
of
and looping a phrase that takes on
a lot of beauty do merely to the fact that it is repeating.

I've been playing a purple anodized, inexpensive pocket trumpet that I got
for peanuts at the NAMM show.
I'll never be a good trumpet player in my life but I'm coming up with some
very, very cool looping shit with it and I
may even have the courage to play it at the Boise Experimental Music
Festival that I"ll be headlining at the end of April.
Scares the crap out of me to consider taking it but I think I"m gonna
anyway.

There is something very beautiful to me about randomly looping something
and
then having it define where you should go next.
That is one of the reasons I love the EDP so much because I can at any
given
instant, use techniques that allow me
to suddenly recontextualize the fascinating timbral world into music.

John Cage said that "Music is just Organized Sound"

our looping gear allows us to organize an amazing pallet of sounds that we
are not necessarily in control of.

If one is too controlling (one of my music and emotional character
defects)
then improvising live in front of an audience can
be a truly liberating experience.

I just did a featured spot at the first 3 day Dark Elektronika Festival in
San Francisco (Binaural Dimensions).
I wrote a long detailed blog about this experience at tribe.net (
http://people.tribe.net/looppool/blog&topicId=1c50aa89-b3fd-4b9f-bb79-c789f114d2b6
 )
so I won't go into more detail here, but suffice it to say that I lost my
DSP processor which meant that I was completely
unable to pitch shift,  square wave tremolo,  reverb or otherwise modulate
my simple found sound sources for the concert.''

Everything that I had worked hard for the week before went completely out
of
the window in one fell swoop.  I was devasted.

This put me in an emotional tizzy and I felt like running away.  All the
other acts were really heavy with huge subsonic slabs of electronica.
Anyway,  I apologized to the audience and said that the 'darkness' of my
performance had to come from the way I was feeling and the
primal instruments themselves and not the
processing.........................I thought I just sucked terribly but
the
context of the performance
pushed me into places I didn't want to go and people really liked what
ended
up happening.

A sweet woman said that she had seen every act at all three days of the
festival and that she found my performance the most inspiring.
She said she wanted to go home and start making
But Serendipity
and chance saved the day.   I was approached by many musicians over the
course of the evening who complimented me on my performance
and I ended up loving the evening even though in the middle of the
performance I though it ranked with the worst failures I'd ever mounted
on stage.

Yeah,   Serendipity and Live Looping..............................it's
pretty dang cool to be on the edge and let your gear force you into places
that make you grow as an artist.