Re: Effects (Was: what a loop has to say)

At 07:46 AM 3/17/2006, you wrote:
>My wife once told me that when I sit down with my acoustic guitar
>and just play freely, that what she hears sound more creative than
>anything else I do with my gear, looping, etc. I find that sort of
>interesting (sometimes discouraging)...makes me start to question
>what is really necessary for me to express myself artistically, vs.
>hiding behind the gear. Heck, if I can sit down at a gig with just
>my acoustic, and satisfy both myself and others artistically, I'd
>probably be retired right now with all the money I would have saved!  :)

Yes, that's a cycle I'm going around all the time: Expansion and
contraction.

By using effects, I open up my mind to different sounds.  This sends
me back to my clean acoustic guitar to see if I can approximate the
sound acoustically with my fingers. Often the sounds appear without
forethought during a solo.  Strings rattling against the frets sound
like distortion.  Octaves sound like chorus.  Harmonics sound like
feedback. Ostinatos sound like delays. The guitar body is a drum.

I love new colors but I can't let the palette get in the way of the
painting.

Cheers,
Kevin

The Nettles: Progressive and Exciting Celtic Music
www.TheNettles.com