Re: hiding behind technology (was: what a loop has to say)

Warren Sirota wrote:
> I always experience this dichotomy strongly. I usually feel (rightly
> or wrongly) that in a live performance, I have to prove I can really
> play guitar early in the show, and then everyone can relax and we can
> have a good time.

I really came to electronics the other way round, as there is always the
expectation of the audience, that the performer has to be "good" (at
least better than the average audience member). I always wanted to force
the audience to accept that virtuosity is not an issue of the music itself.

> I think that the live performance experience imposes a requirement
> that most of us feel to somehow impress the audience, to make them
> feel like not just anyone could be sitting up there in front of a
> rack of gear and making these great sounds.

The art of making good music is, to let the audience forget their
expectations. One crucial part of that skill is, to let go the wish to
impress anybody. Thats the biggest trap for any artist (not only in
music). Art is, at least for me, a process of freeing myself and let the
audience be part of this whole process.
The best way to impress an  audience is not wanting to impress them, but
just be yourself and that way become a mirror.
But one thing I learned on my path - in the end you can't avoid the
virtuosity (the longer you play an instrument within this process, the
more skills you'll develop naturally...), but there is no need to point
to it.

> That's one reason that I like to play in ensembles with less-magical
> technology, and specifically to use the high tech as one element
> among many in a show.

Thats why I prefer to play with other musicians who play "normal"
instruments (no looping from their side). The whole process is more
clear, the only explanation I might give: all the sounds you hear are
from the played instrument, no prerecorded additions...

Yes my instrument is "electronics" (I would not want to call it effects,
this is pointing into the wrong direction)

I call my instrument now "Les ondes memorielles". It might help the
audience in recognizing it as an instrument.

Stefan

--

  [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]