Re: Audio Interface for Notebook Users

I just posted the last too fast...

Kris Hartung wrote:
> I think PCMCIA route is the best for me...I'd rather not have an extra
> device attached to my notebook.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. In general assume the cardbus solution
isn't necessarily better than a built in. Allone the connections are
likely to create problems later. Are you really going to sacrifice the
processing power with 96kHz?. I'd rather trust a good 44.1 kHz converter
than a bad 96 kHz. Specs are for selling stuff. The aim of these cards
are home musicians, not professionals. None of the mentioned cards let
you plug in your instrument or a microphone directly. You would be
forced to add a mixer (which you might want ta have anyway...).

The Quatafire is so small, you won't consider it as an extra device and
it has a built in Midi interface which will get rid of one other box in
exchange.

> Hence, what I have now for PCMCIA options are:
>
> 1. SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook  -
>
>http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=10769
>
> - $100

No Mic/Inst input, only stereo in and out. I would not expect it to be
better than the built in High Definition parts of your ThinkPad

> 2. Echo IO http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoIO/index.php
> - $200

Same as above

> 3. Echo DJ -
> http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoDJ/index.php - $200

Doesn't seem to have any inputs. (You're not a DJ, are you?)

> 4. RME Hammerfall HDSP Laptop Cardbus -
> http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/cardpci.htm#CARDBUS - $299

This will have an extra box and you will have to add something like at
least $700 to the mentioned price (though it has really world class
converters)

> I definitely won't be buying the Soundblaster again....even though the
> quality is great for what I'm using it now, I don't like the fact that
> it completely disables your notebooks current soundcard.

This is more an operating system issue I guess, might be the case with
any solution ? The general technical issue with mixing sound cards, you
will be forced to use the biggest vector size, the smallest sampling
rate, the longest latency of the two. Especially internal sound cards
are never optimized for latency, but always for price.

The Quatafire will give you 4 analog ins and 8 analog outs. The same is
true for the Presonus Firebox. I think if you even consider a cardbus
"solution" these are the two I would think of. You might consider to
exchange your mixer with a fader box.

Stefan

--

  [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]