Re: MOTU Ultralite

Hi Luca,

> Hi Jeff,
> I will receive an Ultralite to review in a week.
> I want to ask you a few things:
> are you allowed to control its internal faders via midi ?

It comes with the MOTU CueMix console, which can be run via a control
surface....I would think there's a way to route midi to the faders
there....but I've never done it. I handle all that internally in
Max/MSP.

> what do you mean for: "since it has more analog audio outs than the
> m-audio, I can route all my EV-5 pedals there, bypassing midi for the
> pedals altogether." ?

Well, I pretty much hate midi, so Max/MSP allows you to take virtually
any data and reroute for any other use....it is pretty fun. So, I use
sine waves going out of max->analog outputs->ev-5 pedal->analog
inputs->max. I then have max measure the amplitude change the pedal has
created and turn that into controller data. It is actually VERY
simple....a few objects. And now no more coarse midi resolution (0-127)
now it is audio rate! (thanks, Andrew!)

So, the m-audio only had four analog outs, two of which were the main.
I could only do two pedals, now I can do six. which makes me happy....

The Ultralite seems to be quite a lovely unit, none of the driver
glitches that the m-audio has.....I love my m-audio for other reasons
(light pipe), but this sounds way better to my ears.

Jeff Kaiser
http://www.jeffkaisermusic.com
pfMENTUM.com • AngryVegan.com