RTFM

> While I agree that ultimately, we all need to read the manuals, there is
> something to be said for instant gratification...

Not only am I a music geek, in my day job I'm also a technical geek. In
fact,
I'm an alpha geek: I tell other geeks how to do technical stuff..  And I
haven't read a manual or any other technical book cover-to-cover since my
teens. I read manuals, mind.  But only the tasty bits.

Read the "Getting Started" section of the manual and try the gear out,
Rune.
If you can't figure it out, dip into the manual, using the table of
contents
and the index.  If RTFM doesn't help, ask the list.

When you get bored with the music you make on the gear, dip into the manual
again.

The folks that say that you have to read the manual cover-to-cover before
you
can use gear are often the same folks who say that you have to practice
scales
before you can play solos--and you know what? Their solos tend to sound
like
scales.

Make music first.

Cheers,