Re: Scary Situations

One of my most scary moments was when I invited a
Gregorian Chant vocalist up on stage.  He had
initially approached me at a small art opening and
asked if he could sit in.  He was GREAT and it really
clicked.  I figured, "I bet there aren't many sucky
Gregorian Chanters out there."  It paid off... for
that gig.  He showed up to our next show and was
HORRIBLE.  I don't know what it was.  He seemed very
very stoned.  I was standing next to him and his voice
was coming through the monitor clearly, so it wasn't
like he couldn't hear himself.  I didn't know what was
going on.  So after a while of trying to get things on
a melodic track, I just decided to go with it and go
atonal.  What else can you do?  WHEN YOUR GUEST
VOCALIST WON'T LEAVE!  He wouldn't get off the mic!

Finally when I realized he was killing us, I just took
the mic from him and said, "OK, that's great.  Talk to
you later."  He scowled at me for a bit but finally

So I guess the moral of the story is, it's a messy
world and shit happens.  Try to laugh and go on.
There's not much sense in dwelling on a bad show or
letting a bad moment ruin a show for you.  I find if
you can see the humor in it and laugh, the audience
will laugh with you and forgive.  There's nothing
worse than transfering your tension to your audience.

Do You Yahoo!?