excellent WIRE review of the CHOIR BOYS, Jeff Kaiser's project

I don't know if this got posted yet, or not but one of our own just got
about as good a review
as one could get from the WIRE magazine just the other day.

I've had the pleasure of hearing Jeff play and this past weekend playing
with him and he is
a wonderful musician, deserving of such high accolades.

Buy this CD,  you'll be so glad you did.

*********
*********

from THE WIRE, MAY 2006

The Choir Boys
The Choir Boys with Strings

Pfmentum CD

Recorded live in two large suites at Ventura College Theatre by the
quartet of Andrew Pask clarinet, bass clarinet, alto and bass penny
whistle, Jeff Kaiser on trumpet and a version of Don Ellis's quarter
tone instrument and GE Stinson and Steuart Liebig on guitar and bass
guitar respectively, The Choir Boys With Strings serves to show how
slow someone like Anthony Braxton has been to wake up to the potential
of electronics in improvised music. One can imagine someone like George
Lewis taking part in something like this, though the language is closer
to the saxophonist's. Everyone's plugged into something and the result
is an urgent, witty and often moving collage of acoustic and electronic
sound which doesn't draw attention to itself, but lets some genuinely
powerful music come through.

Brian Morton