Re: Ditching lopperlative version 2

Not to harp on anyone... but I just wanted to say that I'm happy with
my Looperlative.   I'm happy with the whole experience.  I think most
of us who bought into the 'newest looper on the block' realized that
we were getting into a work in progress, and most of us were even a
bit gleeful to have a chance to communicate directly with the
developer.  See my comments interleaved below if you want to know
more about my view of the Looperlative in context...

FWIW, I used to use a DL-4, then got an EDP, then bought another EDP
for stereo.  Then I sold an EDP to help pay for the Looperlative.
Now I'm _happy_!

Stuart Wyatt quoted jayrope, who was quoting Mark S
>jayrope wrote:
>
>>     still I believe, that the looperlative will be a very cool machine -
>>     in the end -
>
>I think most sane people on this list would agree with this
>statement... but I totally understand the frustration that Mark was
>feeling. (I had similar feelings when I opted for the Repeater... I
>imagined it to work one way, yet it worked the opposite. Whereas the
>Repeater is ideal for some styles of looping, it totally worked
>against mine.)

Hear hear!  And the EDP didn't work for me, as I wanted to record
_multiple & independent_ stereo loops which I could capture, leave
silent for a while, and bring certain ones back in/out in different
ways.  The Repeater might have.  Too bad I couldn't buy a Repeater
for the year-plus that I was on the pre-order list.

>Mark's rant was purely just that, a rant. He needed to air it
>somewhere, and what better place than LD? :) I did the same with my
>Repeater rants back in the day.... He needed the LP1 to do what he
>wanted do. It couldnt do it. Mark had every right to vent his
>frustrations.

Well,  it's possible that the Looperlative Forums would have been a
better/more productive place for the rant (at least as a start).  Or
at least more respectful.

>The LP1 is in a very early version of the OS. It already has many
>users salivating from various orifices, yet the OS can only get
>better. Just look at the progression from Loop1 to LoopIV, or the
>progression of Mobius and SooperLooper. It can only get better.

Agreed.  Much more to come.  Simply wait if it doesn't do what you
want today.  Mark was justified in being frustrated that MIDI-sync
didn't do quite what he wanted, but he could have tried a bit harder
to be understood about his need for MIDI-synced tracks, and exactly
how it was not working as he expected.  THEN, with no real response,
he would be more justified in his public rant.  My opinion.

>The developer seems to listen to people, and from what I have
>experienced and heard, he is a jolly nice guy to boot! Considering
>Bob is a one-man band (no pun intended), I am totally amazed that he
>has managed to get the unit into production. As the early adopter
>units sell (and I believe are selling well), he can reinvest the
>money back into the company... hire developers... hire other
>staff... be able to work on it himself full time.

I don't think Bob is trying to build a looping empire.  Which is just
fine with me.  He couldn't afford to take the time to listen to all
of us on the Looperlative Forum if he had hundreds going out the door.

>It can only get better. The LP1 has the potential to be the ultimate
>hardware looper for most people. It just needs time to mature.

That doesn't sound quite right to me.  It's a pretty mature product
already.  Are a certain amount of bugs inherent in any new complex
hardware/software product?  Obviously.  I received one of the first
units, and there have not been too many upgrades _necessary_.  Pretty
reasonable rollout.  That, in itself, is pretty impressive.

Does the Looperlative claim to replace all other loopers? No.
Is it immature until it can do everything an EDP/Repeater can do? No.
Should we rate it on it's own merits, just like we do when we compare
loopers like DL-4/JamMan/EDP/Repeaters/Eventides/etc.?  Yes.

And, for ME, it does a great job.  It's gravy that it will have new
features added over time, and it isn't trying to be the Holy Grail of
loopers (yet).

I'm very glad that Stuart closed with an encouraging statement:

And Mark absolutely pegged it when he said:

At 1:04 PM -0700 5/8/06, mark s wrote:

>I totally agree.  It's not a judgement call, it's just
>more a matter of personal choice.  Bob's been great
>and so had the Looperlative.  I'm just rethinking of
>how I want to work with a looper in my world.

and...
At 1:09 PM -0700 5/8/06, mark s wrote:
>The looperlative isn't a product
>made by a huge corporation, it's a labor of love by a
>single developer.

Oh, so true.
It's good to catch people doing a good job, once in a while.

Thanks, Bob!

Ken H.

P.S. Just before hitting send on this, I saw the "looper elites"
comment.  Don't know what that meant. I'm certainly not any sort of
elite, and not all that amazing of a looper.  But I am an engineer,
and I know quality when I see it.