Laptops and Latency...

The lovely Jeff said about working with MAX/MSP on a laptop -
 >>still loving it, and latency not bothering me at all. Particularly
since leaving the m-audio interface behind.....<<

one of the major differences between your music and mine is that your
sound source is acoustic - so your relationship with latency is going
to be very different in that you're already dealing with two separate
sounds - the acoustic one and the processed one. A 7-10 millisecond
latency on that is going to be pretty hard to pick up, I'd have
thought...

For me as a bassist, especially when playing percussively, I find the
disconnect that I feel when presented with that kind of latency is
just nasty. I could deal with it if I was using the direct monitoring
thing through the soundcard, but that would then mean that I'd need
an external processor as well, and would defeat the point of using a
laptop. :o)

We're talking about tiny tiny latency margins here, and loads of
people are going to find that they don't notice them at all. For
those peoples, a laptop is a cool way to go, if they don't mind
having a laptop on stage etc.

Gimme hardware any day of the week. Now if there was a hardware box
that'd run Max/MSP with the kind of undetectable latency that the
Looperlative is running (I think Bob said something silly like 0.3 of
a millisecond - and someone else said it was less than the time it
takes for an acoustic guitar signal to reach the ear of the player...
Don't quote me on that though... ;o)

cheers!

Steve
www.stevelawson.net - site