Re: PC Notebooks and Cleaning up the startup menu

ah hah...see Jeff? :)  hah hah

Kris

----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd Pafford" <calenlas@gmail.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: PC Notebooks and Cleaning up the startup menu

Actually, Jeff, same thing goes for OSX.  Check out
<http://www.westwind.com/reference/OS-X/background-processes.html> for
a short list of the most common background processes.  (By no means is
this a complete list.)

Being a Linux man myself, we too have a lot of stuff running that is
unnecessary and possibly detrimental from an audio standpoint.  The
bottom line is that a modern computer, in order to deliver the
experience most users desire (conciously or not), simply has to be
doing very many things at the same time.  Tuning a PC or Mac for a
single function, audio or otherwise, is simply a matter of figuring
out what functionality can you do without.  Things like disk indexing,
system restore checkpoints, task scheduling, or graphics eye candy are
present in all modern operating systems in one form or another and for
the most part are unnecessary for the task at hand.

Having said that, I will say that OSX and Linux do seem to do a much
better job allocating resources than XP so that those background
processes don't do as much damage to percieved application
performance.

Todd