Re: OS? Home, Media or Pro? (was Re: Mobius on an Intel Mac (and more questions))

Google is your friend.  Check out these discussions comparing XP Home & Pro.  I wouldn't bother with Media Center since as far as I can tell, it just adds apps to use the machine as a music/movie jukebox.

Home vs. Pro:
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx>
< http://arstechnica.com/tweak/win2k/xp-versions-1.html>
<http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp>
< http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=24963&rl=1>

After looking at those, it should be clear whether you need Pro or not.  Basically, if you've got a multi-processor machine you need Pro.  If you want to run with encrypted file systems, you need Pro.  If you need remote administration of the box, then you'll need Pro.

As an audio box, I'd guess you don't need any features that are in XP Pro except maybe the multi-processor support.  (It looks like the Intel Core Duo Macs don't count as two processors even though there's technically two cores in the chip.  They don't require SMP support and will therefore work with XP Home.)

And, of course, with any Windows install, first order of business must be to download & install the service packs.

Finally, here are some excellent tips for tuning XP for music apps:
< http://www.musicxp.net/index.php>

Hope this helps,
Todd