Re: OS? Home, Media or Pro? (was Re: Mobius on an Intel Mac (and more questions))

I'd use XP Pro, bub.  Media Center is what you'd put on a machine that was
part of your home entertainment system, and thus recording or playing
media
files, feeds, or discs on what I suspect is mostly a consumer level.
We're
using XP Pro here and haven't really had too much trouble, even less since
upgrading the machines we use here:

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ (with a 1MB L2 cache)
2GB DDR400 RAM
Western Digital WD2500 SATAII (250GB)
MSI K8N Diamond mobo, with as-yet-undelivered Bluetooth module
Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO FireBlade (PCI-E 256MB) graphics card
CoolerMaster Centurion 534 case
CoolerMaster 'Real Power' 450W power supply

Cooling is done relatively quietly with a combination of fans: the PS has
its own low-noise fan, there are two in the front lower bay of the case,
the
graphics card has a nice fan that sends it out the back of the machine,
the
chipset has its own fan, and I put a Gigabyte 3D Cooler module on top of
the
CPU.  I'm surprised it's as quiet as it is but the highest temperature
that
occurs anywhere in the box is 47C/124F.

The MSI motherboard has Creative's 24-bit SBLive onboard, and its
operation
so far has been flawless.  And there are two LiteOn DVD-RW drives, one
with
the LightScribe stuff (an interesting perk).  I initially got a pair of
Mitsumi multi-media/floppy drives but they were faulty... and so I'm now
searching for an external USB device to serve this purpose.  And of course
right after I'd finished the machines and wanted to plug in all my
equipment
and wham away, I proceeded to crush the end of my left middle finger
between
a pair of heavy flagstones, which of course split it open like a crushed
grape.  Luckily I escaped a direct-center impact, which would have
eliminated the end of my main guitar finger, Jerry Garcia style - but it's
going to be another couple of weeks before I dare to play again.

As a result I don't think I've been so on fire to play since the brief
period at college without my guitar...!  I've decided this is a good
thing,
kind of.  But I digress.

XP Pro!