Re: Re: AW: laptop audio I/O hardware in your price range?

Hi Josh

> I've been lusting over the Onyx mixers for a while.  My primary drawback
> would be that (as far as I can tell) it only sends a single stereo
>return.
Hmmm... you're right... I might have the same problem one day also, if I
use computer as master... Don't have the problem currrently because I use
computer only for mix-down of tracks.
It would be interesting to see if you can route your main mix to
FireWire-Out & the monitor mix to standard PC Line-Out.
I'll have to check when I have time.

> Also, did you look at the Alesis Firewire/USB mixers?  Thoughts/opinions?
I was initially also thinking about the Alesis mixers. But I've read that
they had a lot of driver problems initially.
Phonic Helix mixers supposed to have same FW chip as the Mackie Onyx. But
I didnt't like the hardware feel of Phonic.
There are also USB mixers (like Yamaha) but I believe they have limited
bandwidth.

Generally, the Phonic and Alesis are roughly about 500EUR/$, Mackie Onyx
roughly double the price (incl. FW). But I got my FW card for free -
including full version of Tracktion software! So if I get a Mackie for the
same price as Alesis/Phonic, I would not hesitate.

Best regards

Buzap