Slide

   At one tme I did graduate work in ethnomusicaolgy ,and my area of focus
was the African roots of American music. The Diddey Bow,is not a slide
it's
  single string  streched taught on a stick( or sometimes attached to the
side of a building) and played percussively.It's called berimbau in brazil
and there are many variations all over Africa,commonly adding a gourd
resonator,which can be closed and opened by pressing against ,and moving
from the body,causing a dynamic and pitch variation  further which adds
rythmic epressiveness.Hugh Tracy's book on southern African instruments
details one version which is ony played by Women ,who move the gourd on
and
off a breast.The only instrument I ever heard of that could physically
only
be played by one gender.  There are also versions where the string is
connected to a very large stick which is rooted into the ground and a hole
in the ground resonates the vibration.