Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 10:53 AM
Subject: RE: oud simulator?

I've heard a fretless nylon string Renaissance (the brand not the era) by Rick Turner do a very convincing oud like sound, The model is the RN6, and I know of at least one jazz guitarist in the Pittsburgh area who has one but I don't remember his name. They are not cheap, The budget alternative would be to yank the frets from an Epiphone Chet Atkins copy an fill in the holes with wood filler. I do know that Rick has made a few instruments with lament woods that are less expensive, but still have the great pickups and construction.
Good luck,
Bill