RE: OT I just know someone here has the answer to this one. re: replacing quarter inch assemblies on circuit boards

Title: OT  I just know someone here has the answer to this one.  re: replacing quarter inch assemblies on circuit boards
 >> Can you give me either some websites, forums, or hints on replacing quarter inch plug assemblies on cheap instruments?

I have an omnichord which I need to replace the quarter inch assembly on... It's attached to a circuit board of course <<

far better than trying to see how it's done from murky jpeggery on some website would be to find a local tech who will show you how to solder.
it's not hard, & being able to rewire your own guitar pickup switching is one bonus.

you will need a small (25W) soldering iron. use common sense when selecting the tip size- it will have to be able to melt solder even when a lot of the heat is being conducted away by large areas of tinned copper (i.e. the contacts on y'r jack socket, the shielding on the circuit board) but not overheat delicate components, especially these days when many components are of the surface mount variety.
you should also investigate desoldering pumps or braid. opinions vary. a magnifying lamp & one of those "third-hand" gizmos....

I use 22-gauge solder for most jobs.... it's getting harder to find because it has lead in it.

but find someone to teach you. you'll pick up a lot more that way (no pun intended).

duncan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe