Re: Re: should we name it echoing ?

At 05:11 27/07/2006, you wrote on LD
>different styles,but allright looping is looping...
>so id like to see fripp or Matthias doing more
>sequence style looping!
>cheers
>Luis

hi Luis....nice topic

Fripp seems to be stuck firmly in the tape delay era, I wonder if
people who worked with that have a block on seeing the possibilities
of digital looping.
Matthias Grob is already a pioneer in bridging the gap between the
old and the new, he plays with rhythm and feedback together.  ...but
yes, it would be very nice to hear him trying out some of the "newer"
techniques.

It would also be nice if Andre Lafosse would let some of his glitchy
rhythms fade out once in a while, while building up a wash over them.

To make a split between feedback-looping and sample-looping maybe
helps in discussion, but there's actually not a distinct barrier
between those two styles, other than the one produced by lack of
imagination.
With new technology, there's always the opportunity to make "old"
music quicker and easier, and usually that's the first use it gets
put to, but there's also the possibility to make a new music that
no-one heard before, that's something I find interesting.

andy butler

ps
Recently I've been using feedback in a different way, using rapid
drops in feedback level to replace small sections of what is
essentially a "sample" based loop.....so that's feedback, but it's
hardly "echoing".