Re: process Vs product - warning, long winded but not OT

Gareth,

I missed the whole thread about Rico. But I tend to agree with your assessment
of "product vs process."

As I've said recently elsewhere, if all we (or our music) were remembered for
(should we be so lucky to be remembered at all) is our association with a
particular piece of gear and our technological method of producing said music
. . . not the product itself but the hardware, technique, the process . . . it would
be a rather pointless and sad thing.

In another arena it would be like being remembered as the lucky owner
of a rare Stradivarius violin and regarded more for that than for for the music
you played on it. How pathetic.

I know a lot of pretty mediocre middle-aged guys who now have disposable
income enough to afford an expensive instrument or amp and take more pride
and personal validation in that than the music they can (or cannot) play on it.
Look at me! Look at me! I've got a big (fill in the blank). Am I cool yet?

Bigger amp, taller rack, faster picking on pointier guitars . . . It's sort of like the
great big pickup trucks and big tires all over the highways over here in the US.
All of these pin-headed little guys (and gals) buy these Hummers and stuff
to compensate for something they feel they lack elsewhere. It's as sure as
human nature. Anywho . . . I digress.

Pure music. That's where it's at. I'm ugly, I'm old, I'm grey-haired and fat. Ain't
nobody gonna think I'm cool at this point anyway, no matter what I do. I'm making
this noise for myself and my colleagues and friends on this list . . . my tribe. If my
gear isn't all old obsolete crapolla now it will be someday. Love of music itself is
the only real valid point for playing it in the first place.

On the other hand . . . maybe I'm compensating for something too. Oh hell.

Peace,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

"Different is not always better, but better is always different"

http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://www.garageband.com/artist/ArsOcarina
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2845073
http://www.netmusic.com/web/album.aspx?a_id=CBNM_17314

http://www.loopers-delight.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_profile&id=121197000042

and Viztas. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Blah, blah, blah. So???