Re: Re: Attitudes to instruments/loopers (Derek Bailey)

Yeah, it got me going. :)  An instrument is a possibility? Or a set? How
is
that possible? (no pun intended). I consider it an object, nor more or no
less.  I mean, let's get literal and clear here: if I break my guitar up
into bits, I find pieces of wood, metal, glue, and eventually I can put it
under a microscope and find organic molecules, etc...but, low and behold,
can find no possibilities! They appear to be eluding the lens of the
microscope.  Those clever possibilities, hiding inside the guitar
somewhere....damn them to hell.

I suspect the realm of possibilities is in the mind. The instrument is
subservient to the mind in my opinion.  I think saying an instrument is a
set of possiblities is a semantic oxymoron. Maybe the guitar itself as an
instrument can inspire possibiliies in the mind of the looper....I'll buy
that. But it's still an object, vs. the life of the mind (recall what
movie
that is from?)

Kris