Re: OT: Small/Light Acoustic Guitar Amps

At 1:41 PM -0600 8/10/06, Krispen Hartung wrote:
>I am comparing the specs now between the JBL EON 10" and the
>complementary Mackie cab, and the Mackie seems to have slightly
>better specs, such as in frequency response/range, etc...but not by
>far.  The Mackie has more wattage going into the woofer, whereas the
>JBL has relatively more wattage going into the horn.   I may start
>by buying just one Mackie, then when I can afford it, get the other.

Kris, check out these before blowing cash on the Mackie:

        http://www.geminidj.com/gx250.html

Also, if you need more low end (12" speakers):

        http://www.geminidj.com/gx350.html

Gemini are well-respected for producing gear for the DJ market, but
don't have a whole lot of visibility amongst regular musicians (their
iKey recorder is about the only thing that most rank-&-file guys
see).  This doesn't mean they don't produce decent product, though.

These are a viable alternative to the Mackie's, IMNSHO, and are half
the price.  Personally, as mentioned by somebody else here
previously, I also find the Mackie's "honky" (I think that was the
word used).  While they're not horrid, I don't find their price
justified by anything other than Mackie's name.

I currently use one of the Gemini GX-350's myself.  I actually tried
out the Gemini GX-250's for a little while (the local dealer was out
of stock on the 350's, and talked me into taking a pair of 250's for
a week to see if they'd work out).  The 250's would sound great if I
were only using guitar and effects.  I also wanted the GX-250 because
it's a mere 29 pounds.  Unfortunately, I need a bit more bass range
(synth, Stick, drum machine) than it's able to produce, so I upgraded
to the GX-350's.

The GX-250 is going for around $200 each.  GX-350, I picked up for $250.

        --m.
--
_______
"Take a packet of seeds.  Take yourself out to play