Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: EXPLAIN your 10th Anniversary Birthday 30 second tune

I'm very partial to acapella vocal looping stuff, I love what I hear from Rick (I wanna hear more from that show, Rick!) and Rainer in the collection. I'm familiar with what Bjork and Imogen Heap have done in this direction, if anyone has recommendations (your own music included) I'd love to hear them.

It'd be nice to have the explanations together on a page. Krispen, could we host a page on your site, or on Box.net? Or LD, Kim?

About my own submission: I'm lucky in that 30 seconds is the normal length of the loops I make, since they're 30-second cassettes. I did four tracks of improv nylon-string direct through a Studio Projects tube mic pre, into a Yamaha four-track. Two tracks are clean, two are fuzz (Effector13 TBD). I did a lot of pitch-shifting with the speed control, which shoots the tracks up an octave with a bit of a "whoosh" which I'm partial to. Overall, the low fidelity stands out compared to a lot of the other tracks, but that's part of what I like about the medium.

Two weeks left! C'mon, more submissions! We should aim for 100 loops.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com

I just went to Krispen's site for the 10th Anniversary 30 second looping project
and was really blown away at all the really interesting and cutting edge music
I hear there.

I thought it would be very educational for everyone to explain how they put their
particular piece together.