Re: laptop-loopers (guitar)

Thanks, Per!  Yes, I suppose the group was wondering whether there was a
"real guitar" under all those sound clips that I post of me playing.
Sometimes it is fun to just play without all the massive tone mangling. In
fact, for me it is much more challenging to play exerimental guitar with
just the sound of the guitar (and some basic finishing effects like chorus
and reverb), then when playing through tons of tone mangling VST effects
like Reaktor, PSP84, Pluggo, Hipno, etc, etc.   This goes back to the
thread
we had on Derek Baily and improvisation.  When you just have your bare
strings and wood of the guitar, it's like removing all the "dressing"
around
the window pane, and you just have the raw notes and instrument tones to
work with....no window dressing, i.e., massive tone altering effects.
Although I know there is an underying debate going on regarding whether
effects are an instrument in themselves or not....I am somewhat neutral on
this for now, but one part of in me wants to reduce effects to
non-instruments when a traditional instrument is the primary sound
generator, but consider effects (laptops included) inststruments when they
are stand-alone music/tone generators.   This is just a thought
hypothosis,
not a statement of fact.

For example, when I am on my laptop with no guitar plugged in, and I am
using some Reaktor instruments to generate ambient textures, sequences,
tones, etc...I consider my laptop an instrument. But when I run my guitar
through my laptop and use VST effects to alter the tone, even if beyond
recognition, I sconsider my guitar the instrument (not the laptop...unless
am adding VST instrument tones in parallel). And in this latter case, the
effects are actually making it easier for me to be creative with what I do
on the guitar. Dare I say the VST effects are potentially a creative
crutch
here, but that would be a value statement.  It's like being asked to
create
a painting, and you get a pallet with 50 shades of colors on it, plus some
sand, mud, plastic, wood, and other things to add texture to the
canvas.....vs. only having the primary colors.  The analogy is not
perfect,
but hopefully conveys the gist of what VST effects can do to help expand
you
creative potential with the guitar, vs having to eek it all out with just
your instrument.

Kris