Re: Live stumbling ...

On 27 aug 2006, at 04.16, dm wrote:

> OK, this is about to drive me nuts.
>
> I've been using ALive 5.2 for several months now and it's been a
> major improvement in my set-up.  There's been the usual trials with
> latency and learning to balance recourses.  All in all, I've been
> amazed at how smooth a transition it's been.
>
> And, now there's trouble.  Over the past couple of weeks, a major
> problem has developed.  While, playing Live will ..glitch.
> Playback momentarily stops and then resumes off time.  Since 98.6%
> of what I do is 1) with set tempo percussion and 2) with other
> players who struggle to stay with a metronome, much less a looper,
> the end result is a massive stumble or at worse the always popular
> 'train-wreck' ending.
>
> At first it seemed to be random and unpredictable.  After a lot of
> search and research, it happens within a wide window near 10 minute
> intervals; as little as 9 & as much as 12, but by far most often at
> 10 minutes +/- 35 secs.  At first I thought another program was
> running in the background, so I clipped everything except audio
> drives and still it gliches.  I've been unsuccessful in finding
> anything that has changed in AL and I haven't loaded anything onto
> the laptop within a month.  I've checked for viruses, spy and
> malware with '0' results.   I've gone into the start-up registry
> listings and eliminated anything unnecessary.  And, I've
> implemented all of the tips listed at musicXP.com (yeah, I know.
> it's a Win system)
>
> So, I am at this point completely stumped.  And, too frustrated for
> clarity.  With everything else off, it's got to be either in AL or
> the soundcard (using the internal audio with Stienberg's ASIO plug-
> in. It's not the best, but it's been working OK)
>
> Any thoughts, suggestions or relevant rebukes?

How about the hard drive you lay down audio to? Do you keep it
instantly defragged and not too filled up with stuff? That's crucial
when working audio on a Windows system, at least if your work include
a lot of audio files. If you are using the built-in drive (the one
in  the lappy where also the OS and applications are installed) I
would guess that may be something to look into.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)