Re: CD Production

> Fabio - When you're computing your pricing, don't forget to include
> your shipping costs for sending the CDs to CD Baby. (From Toronto,
> we have to sell 2 or 3 CDs just to pay for shipping a batch there.)

Yeah, Amazon is the most annoying on this front. We sell 3-5 copies a
month through Amazon's Advantage program. We get about $6 per disc. But
Amazon has a totally automated re-order program where, when they sell one
disc, you ship them one disc to re-stock. At $1.10 postage per disc, that
begins to cut into profits. Not to mention extra trips to the post office.

To touch on Fabio's original question, my band has gone through 2
pressings of 1000 of our first disc, released in 2003, and have almost
gone through the first pressing of 2000 of our second disc, released last
year. Probably 35-40% of the discs have been given away as promo, but we
have paid off both discs and are starting to budget for the third. Most,
like, the vast majority, of sales have been at gigs. We gig all the time,
tour as much as we can. We have a steady trickle of sales from CDBaby and
Amazon, of those, the CDBaby sales are much more profitable. We have stuff
placed with a number of other internet distributors, and we have generated
exactly zero sales through anyone other than CDBaby and Amazon. Definitely
sign up CDBaby's digital distribution deal! We also get a steady trickle
of income from that as well.

We get virtually no radio play, other than a couple of cool
college/community stations. Other than a couple of local indie stores
where we are close enough to keep up on consignments, our stuff is not
carried in stores, definitely not in the big chains. We have gotten
uniformly excellent reviews from various print and internet zines. As far
as I can tell, these have led to no sales whatsoever. The only way to sell
discs in the new economy, as far as I can see it, is to play live.