RE: RE: RE: Live Looping quandry

Well, one aspect is to try to get lots of press in your home town, and book
a show like any other out of towner when you call them up. They figure you
must be 'somebody' because of all the press (before I had any, all of my
press quotes were fictional!). Except a select few, rarely music you make
with looping devices as a solo performer is a 'draw' in the sense that it
will keep people drinking all night.
No matter where you are, or where you are going, solo looping is a hard
sell. We have to convince someone that they want to hire us, despite the
fact we can't bring the crowds the Poison tribute band can down the street.
Also, *we* have to be confident enough in what we do to come across as
professional, and if no one comes in while you are playing in a place 200
miles away, it isn't *our* fault.
What kind of advertising did they do? Did they send out a press release?
Did
they hang the posters you sent? Are you in their monthly flyer all over
town?

So, what can we solo loopers do? How do we get and keep gigs? Where should
we play? What about the really *weird* solo loopers?

I live in a small town north of Tampa Florida. I got met and got involved
with all of the people in this area planning festivals, art shows, gallery
openings, etc. It takes a lot of time. All unpaid. Cool thing is, they call
me now, because they know me personally and I am easy to work with (this is
*very* important). And now they pay me. I applied for state grants, chaired
the Cultural Affairs Committee in my town and met the people making
decisions about funding for music in the area. I made a point of meeting
the
local tv and print press and let them know what I am doing all the time-
learning to write a good press release people can copy and paste is a great
skill. In a small town, there isn't a lot of arts news, except for the odd
school play. So they will put you in the paper. There are other options
besides bars for us out there.

Dave Eichenberger-
http://www.hazardfactor.com/collectives    <--- 50 CDs, 50 hours, no copies