Re: fractal loops (was: keeping loops interesting)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill" <rs@moinlabs.de>

>> Okay, I understand the sequence of actions here, but I still
>> don't see how this makes the music fractal.. How is the whole
>> piece depicted in a similar way within itself?  Where is this
>
> The missing root notes of the chord progression (which have a period of
> four
> bars) are also found in the bass line (which has a period of one bar).
>So
> if
> you cut out one bar (any bar) of your chord progression, the root notes
>of
> the entire chord progression are still there.

So the similar pattern is based on the absense of  notes?  Yeah, I get it
but it seems like a stretch to call this fractal music.  And do you call
the
repating pattern recursive? It seems to repeat at only one level.

This may produce some interesting resutls, but another example would be if
you created a 1 minute looping piece, composed of as many parts you like,
copied it, doubled it's speed, copy it again, and then past it in a new
track so you have the original loop repeating within itself twice, but at
double speed. You could do this indefinitely, copying those two double
speed
parts, double speeding them, and then copying the four new loops in a
third
track, and so on....good grief, I'd love to hear this. Can you do it
Rainer?
I dare you...fill up all 8 Mobius tracks. Your last track would consist of
128 copies of your first track loop, each running at 8 times the speed. To
illustrate the effect, you could create the whole 8-track piece, and then
play it back, staring only one track up at a time...so we can hear the
additions.  I may try it myself, if I can muster the time today to program
Mobius to copy loops.

>> "similar" fashion inside itself.  Remember, the extreme or
>> ideal example her is that of a holographic plate, where you
>> can break it in half and see the original images preserved,
>
> No, you can't. You lose half of the angles of aspect.

What I meant to say, repeated at
http://www.smithsrisca.demon.co.uk/holonomic-theory.html is that "the
entire
image can be recreated from any one portion of the plate. That is to say,
if
a hologram is broken in half each half can still be used, on its own, to
reproduce the whole image. And if each half is broken into quarters, all
four quarters can still be used, on their own, to reproduce the whole
image.
And so on with practically no theoretical limit. All that happens is that
every fragmentation simply reduces the clarity of the image. A hologram,
in
other words, obeys its own version of the Law of Mass Action."

> Rainer

Kris