Re: Very long morphs (was: keeping loops interesting)

On 19 sep 2006, at 20.26, mark sottilaro wrote:

> What I'm looking for (in software hopefully) is
> something that slowly changes a perameter over very
> long lengths automatically.  Like modulating a filter
> (delay or any other effect) with a sine wave, but have
> the sine wave have a period of 10-20 minutes.

--> Funny answer:
Musicians do that. Activate a functionality named "improvisation".

--> Serious answer:
1) Numerology (host appl for OSX).  http://www.five12.com/
My favorite controller GUI in Numerology is the TripleXY window.
Three X/Y vectors that together control six parameters. You dot
somewhere in the X/Y field to set values for the two parameters
controlled by one vector. Then there is this genius function called
"glide" that is simply slowing down the move from one set of XY
parameters (first dot) to the next (second dot). You can set glide
for very long periods so the parameters will change values slooo-
slooo-slooo... oh-sooo.... slooowley....

In Numerology there are also some LFO modules that can be slowed down
and set to target any parameter in an instrument or effect.

(Numerology is OSX only and works through the AU protocol and the
audio/MIDI support that is built in the Mac system).

2) Ableton Live.
Set up a bunch of clip envelopes with long duration (no upper limit
really) and let them change the target parameter.

3) Mobius.
Scripting. Do it like this:  Set first value for the targeted
parameter, set a subcycle's wait, set the second parameter value,
another subcycle's wait, third value etc etc.  My first try with this
was to create a tremolo, but it didn't work very well. Then I created
a one minute sinus curve of Rate Shift (pitch and speed, like a
turntable being touched) and that one is great fun. It spans two
octaves in pitch, so I wouldn't precisely call it a sublime effect. ;-))

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)