Re: A quieter, gentler footswitch?...

Thanks, Mark and Charles for your replies...

Well, I bought some new switches and installed them... they're similar to
the Radio Shack ones you
suggested, black plastic and they cost me $2.50 each... As I stood in the
store I held the
switches in my hand and I clicked on them to see how loud they sound and
they sounded a lot
quieter than the switches that came with the unit... But now that I have
tested it out with the
new switches, I find they are still too loud... Part of the problem is
once the switches are
bolted to the metal case of the foot controller, the case acts as a
resonator and amplifies the
clicking... No way am I going to create music with a looping tool that
places a grossly audible
click at the end of each loop cycle...

I just ordered the switches Travis recommended from Mouser (EDP
replacement switches made by
Mountain Switch)... I haven't heard how they sound, but I'll give them a
shot... If it's still too
loud to use for live-miked acoustic instruments, then I will just sell
this whole stupid 2880 and
the foot pedal and all the CF cards I bought on eBay... I'm sure some
electronic looping musician
could get some decent use out ot it, but I guess until I hear from someone
that there is a looper
with a foot controller that doesn't make noise, I am an acoustic musician
who is just out of luck
(I suppose I could also tape a contact mic to my horn instead of using a
free standing dynamic or
condensor mic - it would sound like crap but at least it wouldn't pick up
the clickety click of
the looper)...

I sure hope those EDP replacement switches are quiet enough to do the
trick... I suppose I could
try and learn MIDI, and try out the Behringer, but I dunno, I'm not so
good with high-tech stuff,
MIDI intimidates me...

Ferrara Brain Pan

http://www.formsofthingsunknown.com

"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."

Noel Scott Engel