MAX/MSP Conversion Complete...

Okay, here's my official announcement...since Jeff stold my fire. :)  Don't worry, Jeff, I know you couldn't resist.

Well, I finally made the leap to MAX/MSP, and I now have a custom VST host to replace Chainer and EnergyXT. Thanks to Jeff Kaiser and Stefan Tiedje I was able to create a very clean and easy-to-use system for looping performances.

First, Jeff got me started with a basic VST host patch, which I modified to be a 72 VST effect host (6 rows of 12 VST modules). In other words, in one mouse click I am able to activate any of a set of 72 VST effects, all of which I can see at the same time on my screen.

Second, Stephan gave me some code to generate a nifty drop-down menu system that allows me to select any of my VSTs on my hard drive and then activate them on the fly. I placed that component after Mobius in the signal chain, so that I can do some cool real-time, post-loop effect processing of my loops (yup, I am treating those VSTs as instruments!). I also have some mix faders to allow me fade in or out these post-loop effects into the main mix.

Finally, Jeff helped me make the host aesthetically appealing, adding color, the ability to make the host full screen, ability to view my processor utilization, hide wires, etc.

I have a screenhot of the MAX/MSP VST host here: http://www.krispenhartung.com/gear.htm (click on the MAX/MSP hyperlink)

And the cool thing is that Mobius works perfectly inside the system, and I didn't even have to add any MIDI control function in the VST. I just opened Mobius as a standalone, setup MIDI, closed it, and then when I opened it in MAX/MSP, everything was still controllable via my MIDI controller.

Next on the horizon is adding more features to the VST host, like stacking and combining VSTs in various ways, but most importantly building my own MAX/MSP effects (patches...not VST). This is where I'm completely blown away by the power of MAX/MSP.  I have already replaced my VST delay  with a MAX/MSP delay patch that runs much more efficiently, but the sky is the limit here. I hope to create some of my own custom effects soon.

Cheers,

Kris

Krispen Hartung / Improvisational & Jazz Guitar
www.krispenhartung.com / www.myspace.com/krispenhartung
Performance Calendar: http://www.musi-cal.com/search?performers=Krispen%20Hartung
info@krispenhartung.com / 1.208.724.5603
Discography - http://www.krispenhartung.com/catalogue.htm