RE: MAX/MSP Conversion Complete...

From: Jeff Kaiser
> You can make "thick" or "thin" in max/msp...you can do whatever you
> want....it is all up to the creator.

Is the debate perhaps over the sound of some of the fundamental
components like oscillators, envelope generators, and filters?
Not all filter algorithms sound the same though on the surface
they may all be "low pass filters".  That's why we have a bazillion
analog modeling synth plugins even though architecturally they're
all very similar.

In my brief experience with Max, it appears that you're given a set of
very fundamental building blocks that you can combine in complex ways,
but if you need a new block, you're writing an "external" in C code.
True you can "do whatever you want" but the leap from drawing a patch
to programming in C is huge.  So if you're not a C programmer and don't
like the sound of the objects available on the various Max forums
you're stuck, no?

This is not a criticism of Max, I own it and look forward to working
more with it.  But as a software developer I've had vendors
trying to sell me things "limited only by my imagination" for years.
Heck, I've even written a few :-)  There are always limitations,
or at least a point you reach where going beyond it just takes
too much work.

Jeff