Re: Bidule/EnergyTX/Audiomulch (was: MAX/msp question)

I'll give you my (initial) observations. I can't say I've spent
adequate time with all these, but I've used EnergyXT and Max a bit,
and I've spent a little time with Bidule, Usine and Audiomulch.

EnergyXT is the most straightforward and easy to use. It doesn't offer
any low level modules for mathematical operations. You can't introduce
random midi values (without some sort of VST) for example. It's a
great environment for hooking up VSTs modularly, and it's got a good
built in sequencer. It's audio engine is not as well coded as the
others (though this isn't an issue if you don't use the stand alone
version, and run it as a VST). It doesn't offer right and left audio
cables like Bidule, and lately I've had some small timing issues using
it as a master to sync Stylus RMX.

Bidule offers better audio performance, more flexible routing, low
level math processing (including randomness), more flexible sync
options, but no sequencer.

Audiomulch is great for processing audio, but there are no midi
"cables" limiting midi processing capabilities.

Usine is similar to Bidule, but with a more appealing user interface
IMHO. The guy who wrote it plays acoustic bass, and there is just
something about it that seems particularly well suited for one guy
improvising with a conventional instrument being processed by the
computer. There are a lot of tools for generating midi events (or
other events) based on incoming audio. It's currently problematic with
Mobius.

--
Art Simon
simart@null.net