Re: Zoom H4 for laptop looping

> On Nov 10, 2006, at 5:13 PM, Per Boysen wrote:
>>  But the H4 is great bang for the buck as a field recorder IMO!

> On 11 nov 2006, at 02.29, RP Collier wrote:

> Does it come with windscreens for the microphones? I did not notice
> that in the product details.

Yes. A little "foam ball" to wrap over the two mics. Size between a
golf and tennis ball.

> How do you find the recording in terms of "handling"? Is it overly
> sensitive to handling vibration and sudden directional changes?

As all sensitive microphones it is not wise to carry it by hand for
the best recording result. It comes with a bottom plate for a tripod,
but no tripod, and this is the way to place it if you want to make
serious recordings in hifi. The stereo mic seems to be very good!

I will use mine a lot as a hand held field recorder when doing
interviews in noisy environments. Then I typically use the built-in
compressor and record directly to 128 kbps mp3. Back home I pop in
the USB cable and lift over the file to the Mac for listening writing
it out as text. I've been hauling my powerbook for years when doing
field interviews (set up Audio Hi-Jack with a low cut filter and
Vintage Warmer directly on the built-in mic iinput) and for me the
H4's portability is a huge pro. For example: I waited years before
buying an iPod before I thought there might come one with recording
capability - but as we know that never happened ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)