Re: new sync feature for Augustus Loop/Live users

On 1 nov 2006 Os wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this might be of interest to some - new in yesterday's release of
> Augustus Loop. From the manual:
>
> "Essentially this is a workaround for a limitation in Ableton Live, in
> that Live reports rounded tempo values to hosted plug-ins when
> externally synced by MIDI clock. For example, if Live receives clocks
> at a tempo of 114.6bpm, it will tell its hosted plug-ins that the
> tempo is 115bpm. Why it does this remains something of a mystery.
>
> "This is a problem if you are using multiple instances of Augustus
> Loop in a Live song, with one AL set to generate MIDI clock, Live
> synced to that clock, and the other ALs set to 'Host Tempo' mode. When
> you use Tap Record to record your loop in the master AL, the other ALs
> will be given a slightly wrong tempo by Live and the loops will be out
> of sync.
>
> "Turning on 'rounded tempo' in AL solves this problem by only ever
> generating MIDI clock at rounded values. The downside is that the loop
> length will not be quite what you wanted, but it may be good enough,
> depending largely on your musical style and whether you record the
> first loop 'silent' simply to set the tempo.
>
> "With this mode turned on, when you use Tap Record the loop end will
> be slightly later than when you tap to close the loop. E.g. if you
> record a loop that would have a tempo of 122.3bpm, AL actually keeps
> recording until the loop length matches a tempo of 122bpm."

When I'm re-pitching the loop while overdubbing I get harsh noise
when going from a slow speed to a much faster. Is this intended in
the plug-in?

Not that it sounds totally bad, I'm just curious. Here's an audio
example of playing an EWI's audio through Augustus Loop 1.6.1 while
also feeding the plug-in with the MIDI note data generated by the EWI
playing (warning for those harsh noise sounds - do not crank this mp3
in headphones):

http://www.looproom.com/audio/EWI_Augustus_Noise.mp3

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen