software newbie

i'm really starting to see the limitations of hardware.
i'm currently using an akai headrush and its hooked up the effects loop on my mixer.
i can virtually loop anything that is coming into the mixer.
but with the headrush, it just keeps layering, and after each layer you lose control over the last layer.

i've read about the software looping, but it hasn't clicked with me yet.
can someone point me in the right direction as to what a typical software looping setup will be?
i only loops live sounds from live instruments, no midi.

--
kosukeweb
http://home.comcast.net/~kkatayama76