RE: g

>>Regardless of the patch, it kinda goes limp when I play a G. I can feel
>my guitar resonating, but I hear the unit just tossing a wet blanket over
>the note. Explain that one.<<

"fascinating, captain. I'd like to take this back to the ship & run some
tests on it, specifically a /white-sound-spectrograph/."

"but why, spock? what do you think it can tell us?"

"well, captain, it's possible that somewhere in the conversion processes,
the designers have used a 'comb filter', which is attenuating the
sub-harmonics of the frequency it was designed to remove. or it may be
that there is a hum-filter in the noise-cancelling circuit that is
unintentionally attenuating the overtones of 50/60 Hz energies present in
our signal."

"transporter room, three to beam up. & this.... GT-3.... doohickey. &
prepare the sick-bay. kirk out."

I sometimes tune up to mains-frequency, which at 50 Hz is quite close to
bottom G on a bass, 49 Hz.
if I look at my watch at the same time, I can get the beat-frequency near
enough to 1Hz to be very close to concert-pitch.

d.