Re: live looping

On 1 jan 2007, at 02.25, bill bigrig wrote:

> howdy,
>
>  can someone explain to me this "live looping" thing?
> I've been using Ibanez DM-1100s for years by pushing
> the "Hold" button and manipulating the speed,
> repetition, and mod controls in real time.

That's almost the same Ibanez box that got me into live looping back
in the early eighties.

> I don't
> know of a way to add things to it once it's "locked".

I don't think that is possible. What you could do is to hook it up
with a mixer, or some other signal splitting device, and send the
delay output back into the input - but though a volume pedal. This
pedal then becomes what among loopers is called "a feedback pedal".
When the "Hold" button is open your loop will stay the same when the
pedal is in the "full volume" position and you will be able to add
your playing to the looping audio. Lower the pedal volume a bit and
your played input will replace the looping audio, a little more for
each round depending on pedal position. And if you want to play on
top of the loop, without your live playing getting recorded, you
simply step on the "Hold" button pedal (my Ibanez had jack for using
a normal switcher pedal for the Hold function).

Be sure to check out Mark's reply in this thread, some good hints
given there.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)