Re: OT: Tubes in Pre-amps: your expertise and honest opinion.

There you go!

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.
800.545.6846
250.752.4816
www.glassWing.com
www.richardsales.com
www.hayleysales.com
www.blueberryfieldsfarm.com

On 4-Jan-07, at 7:40 AM, Daryl Shawn wrote:

Like drum machines replaced drummers...and the Fender Precision replaced acoustic basses (now there's a backbreaker)...and synths replaced nine-foot grands. Replacement will happen to some degree (already has, obviously), but there's an indescribable element to the "real thing" that ensures its continued life. And unlike, say, 2" tape machines that require so much space, maintenance and expensive tape, I don't think the downsides of tube amps are great enough to lead to their general replacement (especially when boutique companies keep popping up, creating new amps and and selling well). When my light, little '66 Princeton gives me precisely the tone/feel that I want - and which many people, it seems, also like - I'd never choose something that's more complicated (and harder to fix) which strives only to fake the real thing.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com

That's great to hear, and I imagine it will only get better in the future too. Next thing you know, we'll be doing blind tests with the tube purists, but spraying "old amp" spray on new SS DSP amps to fool their noses too. And then, just like we make designer jeans that are already pre-ripped, faded, and fringed, we'll create new SS DSP amps with dings in them, old smoke smell, and a couple of fake tubes in the back that light up like christmas trees....oh, and we'll put led in the bottom of the amp so it weighs as much as a tube amp too, so they can continue to break their backs and rupture their disks if they want to.

Some day, the dinosaurs will go instinct...maybe not in the next few decades, but very soon relatively speaking in the timeline of technology and human development. I see tube amps in museums, with model Ts, computers the size of rooms, and two-headed cows.

K-
----- Original Message ----- From: "Fluke" <fluke@gotadsl.co.uk>