RE: crossfading

Title: RE: crossfading

>>On DJs ::::

A while back I knew a DJ that used a boomerang, did a real nice job stacking
loops and playing techno over it.  He was, of course, very annoyed when he
realized that the loops weren't actually synced up with the turntables, and
try as he might, the two always drifted apart very quickly.

I would like to see what DJs are doing nowadays with loops ... anyone know
any good examples of that ?<<

when I bought my first repeater, I took the manual to work & lent it to at least two DJs that I thought might be interested, nay, intrigued.... by the possibility of grabbing bits of audio from a deck, looping them, stretching them, changing key or tempo or both.... well, I tried to sell the idea. even pointed out that the repeater had it's own phono pre-amp (though most DJs wouldn't use this because their decks are already attached to a mixer, so what were electrix thinking exactly?)
anyway, the impression I got from these (london, UK) DJs was that such gadgets as repeaters & kaoss pads & the like were too showy for purists, & possibly unreliable.

disappointing, I thought. even I would love to see someone do a set with a couple of decks & a looper, & I have always been quite disdainful of the practice of playing other peoples' records for money..... :-)

d.