RE: Electric Guitar - fix for static noise?

>>I have a wonderful Stratocaster, but whenever I briefly touch the
pick guard with my right hands pinky (which happens all the time when
you play) a small amount of static power is built up and creates an
unpleasant audio artifact.<<

hmmm..... I've never heard a strat do this. me & my guitarist have about
two dozen between us. what's this pickguard made of, chromed steel or
something? :-) are you playing with velvet gloves on while sliding up &
down a perspex pole?

ahem.

you might want to try some self-adhesive foil on the underside of it, &
ground this through the output jack. a lot of fender pickguards already
have this stuff on them, & it's also found in many guitar control cavities
& under pickups. your local luthier or guitar tech should be able to
supply something suitable. usually, the foil finds it's way to ground via
the chassis of one or more of the control pots which are fastened through
the foil.

if that doesn't fix it, get an antistatic wristband from y'r local
computer shop & figure out a way to wear it while you are playing, with
the ground lead attached to the bridge/tailpiece or some other way to the
guitar's ground connection.

I often have trouble with clicks & buzzes from my basses- mainly a buzzing
that goes away when I touch the strings. this is because I am picking up
EM myself (acting as an aerial, in other words) & the pickups pick this
up. I stop being an aerial when I am grounded by the guitar. the
antistatic wrist-strap thing works for me, whenever this issue is critical
(i.e. in the studio). on-stage, I ignore it.

d.