Virutal E-jamming (was: Re: ejamming)

Related: Another approach.

Given the invincible latency on the net I think that Virtual E-
jamming is as good, or even in some ways a better way  of
collaborating. It works as this: Musician A records something while
visualizing musician B jamming along. In his playing A needs to
respond to his vision of B, even though B isn't there. Then A sends
this recording with snail mail to B. Musician B listens, not so much
to the actual sound recorded as to the sound NOT recorded - the stuff
left out by A. Then B records his response to A's recording and "the
stuff left out" (i.e. A's vision of his absent jamming partner
responding).

I've tried this and it works marvelously! It may even be easier than
jamming in the same time, because B's response doesn't have to be the
same as A originally envisioned B to do. If B later comes up with
playing something differently it is probable that A's mimicked,
recorded,  response to that will still be musically fitting.

For group improvisation I have always been interested in playing
"compositions" that do not deal with traditional ways of describing
music, as in "notes", "chords" etc. You could in fact write a tune
where you use different kinds of vegetables, or whatever, as "notes"
are used in a normal charts.  Anyway, the fascinating thing here is
that interesting music comes out of it as long as everyone involved
truly tries to musically interpret whatever he is given. And of
course as long as the relations and movements of the symbols used has
some sort of meaning. It's not the symbols themselves but the
relations between used symbols that makes music when interpreted by
humans. I think the instincts at work here are the answer to why
Virtual E-jamming actually works so well.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)