Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 6:14 PM
Subject: Re: Hattler almost loops

yeah I know. I guess it's from years of working in the studio and trying to help folks who are stumbling or flat on their face.

The interesting thing is what I call the Robert Johnson phenomenon. Son House said he saw Robert J play at one point and he was just awful - a crude beginner. Saw him not long after that and he had gone beyond what any blues man had ever imagined. So I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt while encouraging them to keep going. You never know.

Now, truth is, I'm deep into ecology etc and I HATE to see so much plastic wasted on shitty records... or incomplete efforts. That's the other side of me that I try to keep in check. I also really have a hard time with artists who THINK they're there and they're light years off of the mark. But sometimes those are the folks who are making the cake. So in a way, it's a confidence game.

How do you balance the need to not destroy that confidence and at the same time encourage chop building? I don't know. I do know that the destruction of the confidence can kill a career. At the same time, dishonesty can too.

I do know MANY folks should not be in such a rush to fill the dumps with dud CDs. And there are literally millions of CDs destined for landfill. To me, the worst thing a musician can do is hurry a project out before it's done. Music is really an expression of something deep and wonderful, or shallow and fun. But either way, unbaked music should not be put on the table. Give it time in the oven.

So I agree with you. He's Russian! Now, in Indian music it happens all the time. Try to jam with an intermediate tabla player sometime and see what happens. But I sense Mr Hattler's rushing doesn't have anything to do with following the emotion etc. I think it's lack of self reflection & evaluation and practice.

I could write about this stuff forever. I love the topic. But it IS a zen crossbow that can randomly fire at the target or the archer.

It's taken me a while to rebuild my own confidence. I don't wanna be crushed. I wanna be guided with instruction and encouraged to keep going, keep working.

Passion is nothing without precision. I love it! Great mantra that all should repeat frequently.

You did the right thing Ted. I'm just refining and putting a gentler shine on your true words.
richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.
800.545.6846