Re: The Police on Tour

Quoting RICK WALKER <looppool@cruzio.com>:

> ...fantastic music is out
> there....................................there is more diversity and
> more plentifulness
> on online radio stations than ever in the history of the
> planet...............it's just no longer centralized as it was
> when some of the older musicians on this list were growing up.

I agree that the independent music scene is much better today than in
the past.

One of the problems that I faced (doing somewhat "arty" electronic
music) was a lack of venues for live or recorded performance.  After I
graduated from college (UMKC Conservatory of Music), I lost contact
with the music "scene", got a day job, and continued to produce music
in my studio with no way to "get it out" other than playing it for a
few like-minded friends.

The internet has revealed that there IS a following for music that
goes way beyond the mainstream.  As a result, I have shared my music
with thousands of people and have been encouraged to keep composing
and creating.  (Online, I am a regular poster to Thereminworld.com and
electro-music.com and am regularly heard on the "Spellbound" internet
radio program).  In fact, it was on electro-music.com that I first
encountered the looping work of Amy X Neuburg which inspired me to
pursue the looping genre.  (please don't take my comment as a slight
on any other loopers -- I am new the genre and there are many people I
have yet to hear).

One of the challenges with venues such as "You Tube", "Myspace",
etc... is that to listen to all the music there would take a lifetime.
  The quality  of the music covers the whole range from beginner to
pro.  For a listener, the difficulty is wading through it all.  For a
performer, the difficulty is reaching people who will like your music.

To go into performing expecting to make megabucks is a little like
going into computers expecting to be the next Bill Gates.  Every field
will have a few superstars however "individual results may vary".

A friend of mine (who does amateur stock car racing) made a comment
about his hobby that applies to music-making:

"To make a small fortune at this hobby, start with a large fortune."

Well, thanks for reading my opinion.  I got lot of 'em.  :)

-- Kevin