More RC-50 Patch Selection

Okay, so as I read it in the manual, I'll have to hold the tempo pedal
for 2 seconds to get into the Patch Select Mode, then select the patch.
I see that it can be set up to switch patches while playback continues,
that's good, but the 2 second bit bothers me.

I see that I can apply the function of switching phrases up or down to
an extra controller pedal, but wouldn't I have to hold down the tempo
pedal for 2 seconds to get the RC-50 in Patch Select Mode?  Or not?

Forgive me if I'm not reading deep enough here.  It would be a lot
easier if I had the unit in front of me, but I'm just trying to decide
wether to get the RC-50 or wait for the new Rang.

Thanks.

Enjoy the day.
Domenick