Re: What do you think is necessary in order to have anexcellentcomposition?

> Quoting Daryl Shawn <highhorse@mhorse.com>:
>
> > I do find that the golden rectangle is a construct that pops up again
> > and again, particularly in pop songs. The climax, bridge, solo,
> > whatever is nearly always at that magical point.
>
> Excellent point!  To utilize the golden rectangle helps to assure a
> sense of proportion to the music and generally results in a pleasing
> "ebb and flow" over the course of the work.

I beg to differ. The Golden Mean exists outside of time. You observe the
golden mean as a whole. Music exists in time. You don't know how much music
is ahead (i.e., how much of the ratio is left) until you get to the end.
You
don't observe music as a whole until it's over. I've listened to some of
Bartok's pieces which are written around the Golden Mean, and I don't hear
it. I like the music, but I don't hear it.

But tell me, what songs use the Golden Mean? Maybe if I listen more, I'll
begin to notice it.

Douglas Baldwin, coyote-at-large
www.thecoyote.org
coyotelk@optonline.net