Re: What do you think is necessary in order to have an excellentcomposition?

I do enjoy aesthetic discussions, and am fairly severe on topics such as
the opinion that art is anything that is created with the /pure
/intention of evoking an /aesthetic /reaction...thus, a Porsche is not
art. Etc.

But I don't entirely agree that the merit of Art is based on subjective,
isolated emotional reaction. I don't think it fallacious to state as a
point of fact that Bach was a great composer, Shakespeare a great
writer, Van Gogh a great painter, Michelangelo a great sculptor, all of
whom created great works. My own emotional reaction isn't a solid basis
to argue otherwise. There are criteria other then personal emotion to
judge art; innovation, craft, and the perception of value over a period
of time, fr'instance.

Having said that, nobody can tell me what I /should/ like, or what
/should/ have value to me. I'm not a fan of Mozart, yet to label his
work as trash isn't for me to say.

I also think the original question was indeed asking for personal
reactions on excellent composition, as perceived by people making and
listening to music. It'd be different if it were, "What are the
standards that we should set to judge all compositions?".

Would you argue that the question "What is Beauty?" is not a worthwhile
topic for philosophical discussion? On this point, I'm just curious.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com