From: aaron leese [mailto:aaronleese@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 9:10 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: VSTi piano - or other laptop synth

Sampler is the word I am looking for --- not just a piano (though I
can't
even find a good free VST piano out there).

Anyway, there are a you mentioned that I haven't checked out, so that
certainly gives me something to do ......

I'm gonna dig into Reason today ... I get a lot of mixed reactions for
that
one .....

And yeah, I was thinking about just sampling the triton settings that I
like
... seems like that is gonna be the best solution.

Tchuss:
Aaron

>From: Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com>
>To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
>Subject: Re: VSTi piano - or other laptop synth
>Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:56:17 +0100
>
>On 26 feb 2007, at 03.18, aaron leese wrote:
>
>>Here a tangentially related topic .....
>>
>>I need a good keyboard synth program .... because I have a midi
>>controller (keyboard), and a rack mounted synth, but would like to
sell
>>the rack mounted equip and use just a laptop (save space).....
>>
>>Sampletank is good (but very expensive) ... I have been looking for
>>alternatives, but with little luck.  The only free ones I found
(4front
>>and MDA) are mediocre, and have some latency issues running  with
VSThost.

> [...]

replace a
>Korg Triton - that's not going to  be easy. The Triton is very
versatile
>and has great built-in effects  that play a big part in its sound
shaping
>capability.
>
>Maybe you should simply buy a software sampler and sample the output
>of
>your Triton (including effects and all) before you sell it? I've  done
that
>to two of my analog synths using the excellent "synth patch  ripping"
>software AutoSampler from REdmatica. It runs on OSX but I  just noticed
the
>other day that another company have now ripped off  that application to

>provide a Windows version. Speaking about  samplers I have heard a lot
good
>about SampleTank. Myself I mainly  use the sampler ESX24, which is part
of
>Logic, because of Logic's way  of globally handling micro tonal scales.
>also own NI's Kontakt 2  that is maybe the best sampler if you look to
what
>you can do with  it. Question is if you're ever going to do all that
stuff
>that K2  offers to? (also NI's user license may be a problem if you
work on
>  many machines - more than two - and need to move the sampler between

>them). If you start with getting a software sampler you need to  expand
the
>laptops RAM to the max and get a huge hard drive,  eventually an
external
>firewire drive for all those samples.
>
>A software synth that I personally like is Arturias Moog Modular 5.  It

>has
>a good sound (which can not be said about every other software  synth
out
>there). Deep fat sound, good high end, musical sounding  with great
>filters. The downside IMO is that it had no way of tuning  it into
fixed
>micro tonal scales. If you want the classic Moog sound,  the MMV is a
good
>choice.
>
>I also like the Cameleon 5000. It uses additive synthesis and is
>capable
>of some unique sounds. Whenever I can't use Logic and its  built-in
>modeling synth Sculpture I go for C5k (Logic only runs on  Mac). What I

>like about C5k (as with all Logic's synths) is that it  can be set to
all
>kinds of micro tonal scales. There are a lot of  demo tracks at the web

>site so you can hear how it sounds http:// www.camelaudio.com/
>
>Synths and samplers that I have bought but and not use much, because  I
>don't like their quality of sound, are Reason (a complete  production
>environment) and Albino 3. Not saying they are bad, I just  don't like

Find what you need at prices you'll love. Compare products and save at
MSN(r)
Shopping.
http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24102&tcode=T001
MSN20A0701