RE: Why contemporary music sounds terrible

You know, I kinda wonder if the reason they mastered
these new sets is because of digital, after all, those
early Zep albums were done in analog, which brings
back the onverly exhasted debate about digial and
analog.

Aside from that, I once read an article about Van
Halen releasing a Best Of compilation, and some of the
new material was mastered with no compression.  His
reason for doing it...He wanted to see what it would
sound like and the radio stations compress the hell
out of them again to make for consistent volumes from
song to song, so by leaving it uncompressed, the song
would sound rather dynamic throught the radio
station's compressors...clever.
--- Charles Zwicky <cazwicky@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Too bad that the remastered Zep CDs are too loud way
> too bright...
>

> >Absolutely Brian!those Zeppelin record production
> >still amaze me,and they are made to be turned
> up!those
> >drum sounds still sound fresh and the sounds page
> got
> >out of those small amps and guitars are the most
> >interesting ive heard in rock n roll history.What
> ive
> >always found brilliant about such a band was the
> >passion behind it,there are mistakes all over the
> >place like the solo on "baby i am gonna leave you"
> the
> >instrumental "black mountain side" or the bleeding
> >echo at the end of "you shook me" or the cut off
> lost
> >part by their engineer which i believe page fired
> on
> >the spot which they had to solve by pasting another
> >part at the begining of "celebration day"...
> >but is the honesty power and passion,no frills or
> >thrills they played back in those days that make
> them
> >so special to this day,almost as if it was the last
> >time they were going to live...
> >Luis
> >

> >--- greg williams <gregorwilliams@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >>  Brian,
> >>
> >>  I am also a fan of Page and his production in
> >>  general in terms of dynamics,
> >>  but have you heard "How the West was Won"? It
> was
> >>  hugely disappointing for
> >>  me in this regard; it is squashed beyond belief,
> and
> >>  so is the sound on the
> >>  Zeppelin DVD, which was released around the same
> >>  time. I don't know if it
> >>  was Page himself who suddenly caved in or his
> >>  mastering engineer, but I
> >>  really wish I could hear those recordings with
> some
> >>  dynamics still intact.
> >>
> >>  ~Greg

=== message truncated ===

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time