Re: What do you think is necessary in order to have an excellentcomposition?

I agree with you. The golden rectangle thang is more an observation;
it's one example of a structure that frequently works. But yeah, there's
all kinds of stuff I listen to without some of those constants you
mention. With Glass's "Music in Fifths" as an example once again, it
dispenses with so many of them, but it's just great stuff. There's
hardly a structure other than linear repetition with variation,
extremely limited harmony, no counterpoint, a metronomic rhythm, a
"melody" that constantly changes. But it doesn't need anything else.

Myself, I'd say "it happens to follow some rules". A piece can follow
ALL the rules and still be excellent. But as to how many rules are
followed or broken, if the product works, that's all that counts.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com