RE: Why contemporary music sounds terrible

Speaking of iPods, and the like, I noticed my Zen
Micro has a Smart Sound feature, which for all in
tents and purposes, is a compressor.  It was meant to
use as a volume attenuator between song mastered as
different levels.  Does it work?  Kinda.  it tends to
keep songs from clipping, but I still hear distinct
volume differences between Led Zeppelin's No Quarter,
Jean Luc-Ponty's Cosmic Messenger, and Rebel Meets
Rebel(which is, by the way, mastered very LOUD).  I
love my mp3 player, because I can now listen to music
everywhere, but I lose the dynamics and purity of the
songs, the Tool album, 10,000 Days  sounds better on
the cd than it does on the mp3 player, then again, any
of my records still sounds better than the cds, minus
the crackle.
--- "Goddard, Duncan" <goddard.duncan@mtvne.com>
wrote:

>  >> This is my current favorite "radio"  <<
>
> I have three sony cd-jukebox things at home, each
> with 400 discs. faced with so little prospect of
> finding time to enjoy the fruits of my avaricious
> purchasing, I bought a thing called a "slingbox", &
> hooked two of the machines up to it, so that they
> crossfade/shuffle from my collection, totally at
> random. then I pointed an old dv camera at the front
> of them so I can see what they're doing. thus, I can
> see & hear my own cd collection being played 24/7,
> wherever I can get on the internet. sadly, it only
> supports one user at a time,but one day I might have
> the web chops to stream the buggers properly &
> publish a link. folks ask me why I don't just get an
> i-pod or something similar- I guess I'm just
> old-fashioned.
>
> today the randomiser seems to be fixated on king
> crimson, the smiths & sonic youth. yesterday it was
> yes, bob dylan & hawkwind. all that's missing is a
> friendly knowledgable voice every now & then, but
> there are some bill hicks recordings in there,
> so.....
>
> duncan.

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time